Ensuring that all women have access to proper treatment that is available and affordable is central to the WomenHeart mission. WomenHeart will work to achieve this goal by advocating for policies that will:
• Extend health insurance coverage to the nearly 17 million uninsured women, without regard to existing or pre-existing conditions, so all women have the opportunity to seek medical treatment when they need it.
• Improve coverage for all insured patients, including Medicare Part D and the Low Income Subsidy (LIS), and provide adequate reimbursement for providers in the Medicare/Medicaid programs to encourage participation and the provision of quality care.
• Eliminate unnecessary and complex barriers to quality treatments, such as prior approval and ‘fail first’ requirements, increased co-pays and restricted drug formularies.
• Enhance benefit packages for all patients to include preventive care, emergency care, appropriate diagnostic procedures, risk modification programs and heart rehabilitative services, and as it develops, personalized health care, so that all women have access to the right treatment for them, with high quality and value for care.
• Ensure that all women have access to the full range of cardiovascular medicines and medical devices available on the market that are appropriate for their condition.
• Improve quality of care for women by collecting and reporting evidence based data for studies, clinical trials, devices, medications and treatments by sex.
• Ensure that treatment can be monitored through the ongoing development of electronic medical records, and personal health records, with utmost care to guard confidentiality and privacy.
• Incorporate specific recommendations for women into practice guidelines when data are available and encourage health care providers to apply proven sex-based differences for all aspects of clinical practice.