Here's a deliciously updated version of the classic green bean casserole, with fresh green beans and wine-infused mushrooms. We just had to keep the fried onion topping, but with only enough to add a delightful crunch.
Yield: Serves 8 (serving size: 3/4 cup)
Hands-on: 40 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chopped sweet onion
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced button mushrooms
1/3 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (about 1 ounce) canned fried onions (such as French's)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Place beans into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well. Place beans in a large bowl; set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and thyme to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently. Stir in wine, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
4. Add mushroom mixture to green beans; toss well.
5. Place green bean mixture in a 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish.
6. Combine fried onions and grated cheese in a small bowl.
7. Top green bean mixture evenly with fried onion mixture.
8. Bake at 425° for 17 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 130, Fat: 6.5g, Saturated fat: 1.5g, Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g, Protein: 6.6g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fiber: 5g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Iron: 1.2mg, Sodium: 230mg, Calcium: 119mg
Source: Cooking Light