The Director of Communications is responsible for all aspects of communications, marketing, corporate deliverables, and is accountable for tracking, measuring and reporting milestones and accomplishments in these areas.
A top priority is to develop and implement an integrated organizational marketing plan to include brand management, media relations, communications and public/partnership outreach. The goal is to raise the visibility of WomenHeart among key audiences and to position WomenHeart as the "go to" source for information on women and heart disease as well as the charity of choice for those wanting to support and get involved in the cause. The plan will include strategies to reach key audiences including:
- Health professionals/providers
- Funders/potential funders
- Policy makers
- Non-profit and advocacy organizations
A key goal is to provide communications support for corporate partnerships and integrate promotional communications into an overall visibility strategy.
- Develop strategies to build upon creative brief, brand guide and brand messaging
- Monitor all organizational communications for adherence to brand positioning
- Coach/train staff and volunteer leadership into incorporating brand messaging into all communications
- Serve as main point of contact with media
- Develop annual media relations plan for American Hearth Month, as well as other key opportunities including National Women's Health Week and select health observances throughout the year
- Develop news releases and position statements on breaking news relevant to WomenHeart issue and policy priorities
- Develop, negotiate and manage WomenHeart media partnerships
- Prepare talking points for CEO and WomenHeart leadership
- Manage all aspects of content and graphic development for publications and electronic newsletters
- Manage staff assigned as writer and editor for the monthly national external newsletter Heart to Heart and internal WomenHeart Champion newsletter Champions of the Heart
- Direct online strategy and content for website and social media
- Develop presentations for CEO, WomenHeart leadership and WomenHeart Champions when needed
- Manage the execution and delivery of all corporate campaign deliverables, working with appropriate staff to ensure timely delivery
- Manage and track budgets for corporate campaign deliverables
- Identify and leverage WomenHeart alliances with national organizations that are positioned to disseminate heart health information to women and/or partner with WomenHeart on programmatic initiatives.
- Help develop WomenHeart partnership strategy for working with like organizations
Corporate Partnerships and Fundraising
- Ensure coordination of communications and brand strategy with fundraising and programmatic efforts
- Work with CEO, development team, and cause marketing consultants to provide required internal communications support and coordination for corporate promotions
- Provide grant writing and editing support to grant writing staff on an as needed basis
- Provide program marketing support and strategies to CEO
- Work with Director, Volunteer and Patient Support Services to:
• manage communications aspects of existing programs, e.g. media training sessions at WomenHeart Science & Leadership Symposium
• contribute communications expertise in development of new programs that have communications components.
For additional information about WomenHeart please click on this video by Soledad O'Brien. It provides a great overview of discrepancies in care and our efforts through a personal story of one of our WomenHeart Champions. Also please visit our website: www.womenheart.org.
If interested in applying for this exciting position, please submit a cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Washington, DC 20036
Required experience: Yes: 5 years