JOB TITLE: Manager, Patient Support & Volunteer Services
REPORTS TO: Director, Patient Volunteer Programs & Services
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease is the only organization solely devoted to meeting the needs of the 45 million American women living with or at risk of heart disease. We provide direct support to women, advocate on their behalf, and educate the public and health community. This $3 million, 17-year-old organization is poised for rapid expansion. A top priority for the organization is increasing our visibility and brand recognition among key audiences, as well as increasing engagement of our current volunteers and expanding our volunteer base. These are key to fulfilling our mission and reaching women with information and support, growing and enhancing the effectiveness of our volunteer network and increasing our fundraising capacity.
Location: Washington, DC
The Patient Support & Volunteer Services Manager is responsible for the design, implementation, and evaluation of sustainable support services (patient support services) for the organization’s volunteers (WomenHeart Champions), as well as programs that increase awareness of women’s heart health issues (community education).
As a team member, she/he will actively participate in weekly team meetings to help develop new volunteer and patient support services. She/he will take a proactive leadership role in the development of more effective measurement and evaluation strategies, as well as identifying trends in volunteer needs and making informed recommendations (proposals and work plans) for how the organization can better meet those needs and support WomenHeart volunteers.
Volunteer Services (WomenHeart Champions Programs)
- Plays a lead role in managing the program development and logistical planning, execution and evaluation of the annual Science & Leadership Symposium at Mayo Clinic
- Works closely with National Hospital Alliance Support Network Coordinators, staff and liaisons, assisting with stewardship, tracking and reporting
- Oversees and manages the tracking and utilization of educational modules for Support Networks
- Design, implement, and evaluate volunteer engagement strategies and continuing education activities for trained volunteers (WomenHeart Champions)
- Works closely with Director of Patient Volunteer Programs & Services in developing new WomenHeart Champion training programs, as well as other volunteer participation programs, by researching volunteer need(s) and/or models from other organizations; drafting documents/work plans; and implementation, once developed.
Patient Support Services
- Plays a lead role in managing program development and logistical planning, execution, and evaluation of the National Support Network Coordinators Conference (SNCC).
- Attends and actively participates in all WomenHeart Symposiums and Conferences. (Please note travel and weekend work required for active participation.)
- Oversee, manage, and evaluate the Support Network program
- Oversee, implement, and evaluate the Sister Match and HeartScarves programs
- Implement and evaluate educational outreach webinars for organization’s general membership
- Work with supervisor in development, implementation, and evaluation of new patient support services programs or events for organization’s general membership
- Oversee, manage and direct a leadership council of 12 volunteer liaisons to ensure Support Network Coordinators are supported and engaged at the community level (WomenHeart District Leaders)
- Draft communications (electronic and hard copy) to trained volunteers (WomenHeart Champions)
- Prepare Board reports and other program summaries on an as needed basis.
- Draft quarterly trend reports assessing Patient Support Services programs and activities
- Contribute to the monthly WomenHeart Champion newsletter, Champions of the Heart
- Contribute to grant development as needed for the community education and patient support services programs.
- Oversee Intern activities and weekly reporting on project/assignment status
- Oversees and manages Patient Support Services Associate.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience, advanced degree preferred
- Must have leadership experience working with a team and/or volunteer force
- Must be highly organized and have a professional demeanor
- Must be comfortable communicating and corresponding with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Advanced communication skills both verbal and written are a must
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft platform (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook)
- Must be available to travel out of state
- Must be flexible to work weekends and evenings where needed
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to think critically and solve problems independently
INTERESTED? EMAIL RESUME to Wanda Freeman (firstname.lastname@example.org).