Symptoms of Heart Attack in Women
Each woman will present with different symptoms of a heart attack. Some women experience several symptoms while others show all symptoms. There are women who show no symptoms before their heart attack. The sooner you can recognize your symptoms and take appropriate action, the better.
The symptoms to be aware of:
- Discomfort, tightness,uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing in the center of the chest lasting more than a few minutes, or comes and goes
- Crushing chest pain
- Pressure or pain that spreads to the shoulders, neck, upper back, jaw, or arms
- Dizziness or nausea
- Clammy sweats, heart flutters, or paleness
- Unexplained feelings of anxiety, fatigue or weakness - especially with exertion
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
Some women mistakenly think only crushing chest pain is a symptom of a heart attack and, therefore, delay seeking medical care. Others have found that healthcare providers have failed to recognize their heart attack symptoms by attributing the cause of symptoms to other health problems, such as indigestion. This is why it is so important to insist that the doctor or nurse administer an EKG test or an enzyme blood test to see if you are having a heart attack. Don't be shy - it's your heart and your life!