After receiving a Medicare-covered service, a Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) will be sent in the mail. The MSN shows all the services or supplies that providers and suppliers billed to Medicare during each 3-month period, what Medicare paid, and what the senior may owe the provider. The MSN isn't a bill. Read it carefully and do the following:
• Check to see if additional insurance covers anything that Medicare didn't.
• Keep receipts and bills, and compare them to the MSN to be sure that all services, supplies, or equipment listed were received.
• Compare the MSN with the any bills paid out of pocket to determine that the right amount was credited.
• If an item or service is denied, call the doctor's office to make sure the claim is coded correctly. If not, the office can resubmit.
• MSNs are mailed every 3 months. If Medicare owes you a refund, the MSN will be mailed as soon as the claim is processed.
• To change the address on call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. TTY users should call 1-800-325-0778. If you get RRB benefits, call the RRB at 1-877-772-5772.