Make a difference in your community!
The time you invest in being a WomenHeart Support Network Coordinator will make a significant impact in the lives of the women and families whose lives you touch with support and encouragement while they face their heart journey. Please consider applying today for the WomenHeart Science & Leadership Symposium. It is one of the most worthwhile things you can do for yourself and others. It will "do your heart good.” Here is what one WomenHeart Support Network Coordinator has to say ...
"WomenHeart was there for me and I feel that my healing is something all gals should experience. The education and support is what helped me overcome the shock and anger at having heart disease. It seems only right to share that knowledge with other women” -- Marla
1. Who may apply? Women diagnosed with heart disease who have:
• A strong passion for supporting other women.
• A commitment to starting and running an in-person support group (WomenHeart Support Network) for other women living with heart disease.
• Strong community connections that can be leveraged for the WomenHeart Support Network.
• A desire to advocate for excellence in healthcare.
• Come to terms with their own diagnosis, and who feel physically, emotionally, and psychologically ready to help other women.
• Strong communication, listening, organizational and computer skills.
2. If accepted, applicants must agree to the following:
• Attend the WomenHeart Science & Leadership Symposium from Friday, October 10, 2014 to Monday, October 13, 2014. The faculty features experts in cardiology, women's health, community outreach and public speaking. WomenHeart covers the cost of tuition, hotel room (double occupancy with another heart sister) and meals for the Symposium.
• Solidify a relationship with the appropriate hospital personnel that will be hosting your WomenHeart Support Network. In order for the Support Network to be successful, there are many items to discuss with the host site regarding their support for the Support Network. As a National Hospital Alliance member, the hospital should offer the following support:
• Advertisement space in monthly newsletters and postings
• Meeting space at the facility
• Identify you as a resource for support
• Print/copy materials for your meetings
• Serve as an additional resource for you by providing professional expert speakers and presenters
• Run and manage a monthly in–person WomenHeart Support Network for women living with heart disease in your community for a minimum of one year (approximately 10-15 hours a month). Responsibilities include:
• Hosting a minimum of 8 meetings per calendar year
• Submitting monthly reports on all volunteer activities by required deadlines
• Participating in quarterly conference calls with District Leaders and other Support Network coordinators
• Participating in Support Network program evaluation efforts
• Participate in a telephone phone interview.
• Watch three, one-hour video webinars on an Introduction to Heart Disease, Diagnosing Heart Disease in Women, and Drugs & Devices for Women with Heart Disease
• Read on-line handbook and course materials prior to the Symposium.
• Maintain and check designated WomenHeart e-mail address at least three times a week.
3. How to apply?
Complete the Science & Leadership application online by clicking here and then submit two letters of recommendation to WomenHeart via email, mail or fax. The deadline for applications is Friday, August 1, 2014.
Subject line: WomenHeart Science & Leadership Symposium 2014.
WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease
Attn: WomenHeart Science & Leadership Symposium at Mayo Clinic
818 18th Street NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20006
DEADLINE TO APPLY: FRIDAY, MARCH 14, 2014
An automatic confirmation email will be sent to the email address entered in your application. Please allow three to five business days for a WomenHeart representative to contact you via email or phone to set up a phone interview. You will be notified by the end of March if you have been selected to participate in the Symposium.
Who is selected?
Please note that this is a competitive application process. Participants are selected based on the strength of their application, including relevant life experiences, volunteer history, and recommendations. Racial and ethnic diversity are also considered.
Due to its physical and emotional intensity, the symposium is not recommended for women who have been hospitalized or experienced severe cardiac symptoms during the past six months. If this sounds like you, please delay your application until the next Science & Leadership Symposium in October 2014.
Questions: Contact WomenHeart via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 202-464-8733.
The WomenHeart Science & Leadership Symposium is co-sponsored by WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease, Mayo Clinic Women's Heart Clinic, and Mayo Clinic Office of Women's Health.