Women in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
gather at a friend's home for an evening of
heart health education and fun.
Photo courtesy of Carolyn Thomas.
• Choose a favorite recipe from the WomenHeart’s All Heart Family Cookbook. Example: Spaghetti with Puttanesca Sauce and Chianti
• Invite a group of friends over and make this delicious recipe and bring a punch.
• Before the dinner party, order enough Red Bags of Courage ®
for each of your guests. These can be used as party gifts.
• Include in the Red Bags of Courage ®
a copy of the recipe for that night and be sure to include all of the heart healthy tips that are included in the book. Example: "Many Italian sauce recipes start with ½ cup of olive oil, but too much good fat can still be too much. We use just 2 tablespoons oil and let the tomatoes take center stage in the sauce.”
• Include information on women and heart disease, risk factors, and prevention tips.
• Identify sponsors for gift bags with items for the recipe or coupons for the ingredients and recipes for heart healthy dinners or a heart healthy cook book.
• During the dinner party, be sure to talk about heart health for women and use the educational materials provided on the WomenHeart website.
• Invite a popular local restaurant chef to make a recipe from the WomenHeart’s All Heart Family Cookbook.
• You may want to advertise to a larger audience and you may need to host the event at a community center with a kitchen, a large home, or at a local restaurant. Include information on women and heart disease as above.